On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Jeff Abrahamson <j...@purple.com> wrote:
> That's really great, thanks.  I think this solved what I want.  This leaves
> me with only a small question that I've half-answered below.
>
> So I say this in my config:
>
> bindsym $mod+Tab mode "I3"
>
> mode "I3" {
>     # start a terminal
>     bindsym c exec urxvt

>     bindsym Escape mode "default"
> }
>
> And now I can type "$mod+Tab c" to open a new terminal, "$mod-Tab f" to go
> full screen, etc.  And, meanwhile, $mod-f does what I expect it to in emacs
> and bash, which is to go forward one word.
>
> One curiosity is that my I3 mode is, well, modal.  Sometimes I suppose this
> makes sense, if I'm going to issue quite a lot of commands to the window
> manager.  (This is the case with resize mode.)  But It would be nice to have
> a transient mode where any command within the mode is executed and then
> causes the mode to exit.  Is that possible?
>
> Let me half answer that question.  I've discovered it's possible if I ask
> for it with each command:
>
>     bindsym f fullscreen; mode "default"

And this is what we recommend. Using modes this way is an edge case,
and the config file should not get any more complex to support such
edge cases. If you really feel strongly about this, you’re free to
implement a preprocessor for your config file. See also
https://faq.i3wm.org/question/1367/anyway-to-include-in-config-file/ —
in general we want to keep complex features out of the config file.

--
Best regards,
Michael