Thanks, Marco.  I had found that discussion before asking my question, in
fact.  It's not quite the direction I want to go.

I now have this working.  I do

bindsym Shift+w  mode "workspace"

and then

mode "workspace" {
    # Switch to workspace.
    # This depends on my having set up odd workspaces on the left monitor
    # and even workspaces on the right monitor.
    bindsym a  workspace 1; workspace 2;  mode "default"
    bindsym b  workspace 3; workspace 4;  mode "default"
    bindsym c  workspace 5; workspace 6;  mode "default"
    bindsym d  workspace 7; workspace 8;  mode "default"
    bindsym e  workspace 9; workspace 10; mode "default"
}

(Interestingly, "W" does not work on bindsym while "Shift+w" does.)

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255    <-- only if I'm in the UK

http://jeff.purple.com/
http://blog.purple.com/jeff/