On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 02:10:14PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:

I saw this too:
http://blog.wizzy.com/post/OLPC-and-Classmate-in-Nigeria
Great, just what I needed for my seminar! 20k$/month for an internet connection, wow!

I couldn't find any technical information about the solution, although
it seems to be based on FOSS
[1] is listed as an "offsite link" to "Wizzy tech site" on the "Wizzy community" page. From that page:

=== Begin quote from [1] ===
This software is an adapted version of CentOS Linux, itself straight recompile from source RPMs of Redhat Enterprise Linux. Many extra packages have been added, all under the GPL licence.

* DHCP server for IP addresses - dhcp as provided by Redhat
* SMTP mail server - exim4
* IMAP server for local mailboxes - courier packaged by wizzy
* LDAP authentication server - openldap as provided by Redhat
* DNS server - dnsmasq - community contribution
* UUCP for all communications - uucp as provided by Redhat
* LTSP bootserver for Linux Thin Client networks - ltsp 4.2 packaged by
   wizzy. This is just a bootserver - it requires an LTSP application
   server as well for full LTSP functionality.
* TFTP, NFS servers for booting and diskless workstation support for
   LTSP - tftp-server , nfs-utils as provided by Redhat
* wwwoffle offline web cache - wwwoffle modified and packaged by wizzy
* apache webserver for webmail - apache as provided by Redhat
* vsftpd ftp server - vsftpd as provided by Redhat
=== End quote from [1] ===

The latest news is a "public beta" announce from March 2006, though.

[1] http://www.wizzy.org.za/

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/