On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Bert Freudenberg <b...@freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 24.06.2010, at 09:32, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in May I tried to find someone to replace me as release manager [1] for
>> 0.90, but as nobody has stepped up to do the job as we defined it I
>> decided that it will be best to keep this role for some more time. I
>> think it will be important for Sugar that we keep some continuation of
>> the processes that we have been setting up during the last years. It
>> would also be very good if someone would like to lend a hand with this
>> or shadow me for future tasks so more people in Sugar Labs have direct
>> hands-on knowledge.
>>
>> We defined the role of the release manager in the past 3 releases like
>> the following:
>>
>> * setting the schedule
>> * make sure that the Feature process is followed by the submitters [2]
>> * keeping the wiki updated about the released modules and making sure to
>> have final release notes available
>> * sending email reminders about approaching Freezes, tarball due dates etc
>>
>> The schedule would be based on the GNOME releases, a 6 month release
>> cycle. As there is not much time left for 0.90 [3] I think we should
>> mainly focus on stabilizing and landing the features that were left over
>> from the last release. I would start to announce a time frame for future
>> releases so that future development can go on. New Features would be
>> handled by the Feature process, as it has been the case in the past.
>>
>> What do others think about this?

Thanks Simon.  That is a good plan.  You have been doing an
outstanding job implementing it for the last several cycles.

> I think thanks are in order. It's a solid, low-risk plan for the "last mile"
> in our development cycle. Now we just need to get our acts together in
> covering the middle ground, so you actually have something to release :)
>
> To that extent I proposed to the Etoys developers to follow the Sugar
> development cycle more closely. And that's what we're going to do.

Thanks Bert.  That will help those of us working downstream a great
deal.  As a side note, what is the situation with Etoys vs scratch?
Many teachers are very familiar with (and love) scratch and wonder why
sugar ships Etoys:-(

david