They *want* computers, just not these. According to Mr. Sinani of the city government of La Paz, the laptops being purchased now are of the "latest technology", while what the parents want are desktops which, according to Mr. Sinani, are or "lower technology (?!?!). Mr Sinani further remarks that the Classmates "do not fulfil the necessary requirements for the education of the students".

As to the teachers, as usual their opinion has never been sought officially, thought the Trostkist union is against computers, while surveys made by the Ministry, whose result was not made public, might indicate that the majority of the teachers want computers. Teachers are one of the segments of state employees that have had the biggest raises in salary in recent years. a big Operating System corporation got paid fees for software, and out of that was going, in "return", to "pay" the Ministry to train teachers. In a personal note, it was interesting to know that this corporation was aware of my presence within a company that was about to get that contract, and was not pleased (I don't know if to be proud that my FOSS credentials were recognized that way, or to be upset that they have me in some sort of black list). As far as I know, that call for bids was never completed, and those funds might be part of the huge segment of the education budget that does not get spent (in a given year, out of $35 million USD available in international aid for *new* education projects, only $9 million were spent).

FOSS people have "liberated" many Classmates. Interestingly, the proprietary OS that had been loaded on them before being gifted to important officials was the 30-day demo that needed a code to operate further. That gave us a chance to educate several of those people about what is better. However, the teacher's union is adamant that if there be computers, they have to be Windows, while the Ministry technology advisors and IT comunity representatives have, almost by unanimity, recommended Linux. Even the representatives from the Universities, that are pretty much wall-to-wall windoze, have recommended that education computers be Linux. The result is that machines are being handed out without any serious thought, and pretty much immediately loaded with pirated software. We know that Mr.Gates does not really mind, as it strengthens the grip.

As to China, yes, they have no idea. Of course, these are the decision-makers regarding education.