Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 00:09:55 +0200
From: dwnarv...@gmail.com
To: sdaly...@gmail.com
CC: iaep@lists.sugarlabs.org; fors...@ozonline.com.au;
sugar-de...@lists.sugarlabs.org; ma...@laptop.org
Subject: Re: [IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar future (was Re: Re: [DESIGN] Single
instance activities)

On 12 April 2013 22:52, Sean DALY <sdaly...@gmail.com> wrote:

The initial work seems very encouraging, yet it seems Sugar Labs doesn't
currently have the resources to make an Android offer available anytime soon.
But: now is the time. I believe fundraising is vital to achieve this goal, at
the very least to facilitate face to face Sugar Camps for the community. I have
ideas how to go about this, but I agree the community needs to be clear about
where we are going. An Android offer would of course be of great interest to
OLPC.

To be completely honest, I think a migration to HTML/Android is never going to
happen unless someone invests in it *and* the community rallies around that
effort.

Even a small team of experienced, full time developers could lay the framework
foundations. And then writing enough activities for the framework to be of any
interest would take a *lot* of work from the community.

But are there the conditions for that to happen?

There are also initiatives we could take to multiply the size of the community.
In particular, support for the Raspberry Pi (which has topped 1 million units
in sales - half of these since September -, is shipped without an OS, and is
arriving in junior high and high school computer science classes) could be an
ideal "OEM" platform for Sugar.

I also see Raspberry PI as a tempting opportunity. Though I think there is some
conflict between trying to extend the reach of the current platform and
bootstrapping a new one.

I think it's important for people to understand that porting to Android is not
really porting but a full rewrite. We can reuse designs, artwork, ideas and
some of the experience we made so far, but no code at all.