Friday, June  5, 2015 10:35 PM -06:00 from Caryl Bigenho <cbige...@hotmail.com>:
>Don't read into my comments things that aren't there. I assumed, as I am
>certain many others have, that you were talking about OLPC and the use of the
>XO machines. Read through your posts and I think you will see why this is the
>case.
>
>As for Sugar, there are many reasons why it is as good as, or even better
>than, any other learning platforms for children. I am a retired teacher with
>30+ years experience so I know where-of I speak. The problem with Sugar has
>been that, until very recently, it was only practical on the XO laptops and
>the numbers you have seen refer mostly to that use. Sugar-on-a-Stick was an
>option as was running it in a virtual machine, but there were many problems,
>mostly with the virtual machines not with Sugar.
>
>A new initiative has been undertaken by OLPC France called "Sugarizer" that
>aims to bring Sugar to "any device." It is in its infancy but shows great
>promise of bringing some of the creative, cooperative, project based, learning
>experiences Sugar has to offer.
>
>There are many ways one can help with the development of Sugarizer. If you are
>truly interested in using technology to help bring quality learning
>experiences to children everywhere, I suggest that you see if you can find
>yourself a niche where you can help expand and perfect Sugarizer. You can get
>more information here:  http://sugarizer.org    To use your expression. Sugar
>!= technology to bring quality learning experiences to children everywhere.
>Just as criticism is only one component of critical thinking, Sugar is just
>one example of an educational technology. At this point I feel my time and
>energy is better spent leveling the playing field among competing projects.

BTW, please notice the second sentence of  http://sugarizer.org .     "used
every day by nearly 3 million children around the world." The marketing quote
from the sugarlabs site is repeated. Pretty soon it is accepted as simple fact
rather then a rough assumption of all XO sales + all Sugar downloads.

Dan.