Of course it was something simple.

After ripping apart my project until it was just one set of bare bones jars
and classes and still seeing the error, I restored from cvs, cursed the computer
and made some coffee. After a few sips away from the computer, I realized what
happened. A quick trip to my desk, followed by one tap (ok, slam) of the delete
key confirmed it.

This part was correct as we thought it should be:

<result property="categories" column="{testId=test_id, asmtId=assessment_id}"
select="getCompetencyTypes" />

But, the corresponding select statement looked like this:

<select id="getCompetencyTypes" parameterClass="int"
resultMap="competencyTypeResult">

Removing parameterClass="int" made the problem go away.

Cheers,

 - stuart