On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 05:03:38PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> I do not consider screwing up the mixer handling a harmless result.

We've shipped in this configuration for over a year. Total number of
bugs filed? None. It's not ideal, but it's simply not true that it
results in a high level of user confusion or a screwed up mixer.

(Context for those not aware of it - Thinkpad hardware has two mixers.
One is associated with the sound codec and is controllable via ALSA. The
other is Thinkpad-specific and is controlled via the hotkeys. Sending
KEY_VOLUMEUP and KEY_VOLUMEDOWN results in both of these mixers being
changed. However, since they're both changed in the same direction,
nobody seems to be especially unhappy about this)

> Until then, since the default meaning of *all* KEY_ events are active in
> nature, I am against the idea of generating events that are to be handled in
> a passive way, by default.

That's simply not true. Userspace already interprets the brightness keys
differently depending on the hardware type.

--
Matthew Garrett | [EMAIL PROTECTED]