Hal,

Are you using both the IBM Z/OS client and server?  We have been doing a
lot of testing the last few days with 1.4.  Some things have changed
since 1.3 including the TLS negotiation. Following the Auth TLS, the
client should send PROT P and PBSZ 0 to complete the negotiation.  The
1.4 client does not send the last two items by default, which can cause
problems with RFC compliant FTP servers.  We have gotten the 1.4 client
to work with our SSL FTP proxy by making changes to the client
configuration in both TSO and Batch mode.  I will see if I can get more
info for you.

-Steve Bireley
Seagull Software