On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:51:55 -0500, Todd Burch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>IBM, by implementing this, will not have "broken" anything.  Your s/360
>program that is runing today from JCL is expecting no more than 100 bytes.
>Fine.  Why would you pass 64K bytes to a program that is expecting a max
of
>100?  If you do, you've broken it, not IBM.

Technically true but effectively false.
It doesn't much matter who was right when production applications die.

I assume a JCL error is produced if you create a parm larger than 100
bytes.  (Either that or the data is just struncated.)  Change the parm
behavior and instead of a JCL error you get abends or incorrect execution
of some programs.  A change in program behavior with no change to the
program (whose source may have been lost 13 years ago).

Late night phone calls to support people who've never heard of the dying
programs.  Late night phone calls to the system programmers supporting the
recently upgraded MVS.  Lots of finger pointing.  Everything is someone
else's problem.  All parts are Broken As Designed because nothing
prevented the problem.

All because of a finger check no longer causes a JCL error.

IBM should be praised for approaching this cautiously, and is looking
for a solution with the least negative effect.

Pat O'Keefe