Peter Hunkeler quotes someone as posting the query

can you cite a source for "programs are expected to reserve 100
bytes for the PARM"?

I hope no such source can be found in an IBM publication. It would be wrong. The PARM= storage is NOT of the form exhibited in the PL/I declaration

declare PARM character varying(100) ;

for which 100 bytes preceded by a halfword current-length indicator is used.

It is instead of the self-defining (again PL/I) form

declare 1 PB based,
 2 cpvl binary fixed(15,0),  /* current-length prefix */
 2 PARM character(0 refer(PB.cpvl)) ;  /* PARM value */

with the side condition that the value of PB.cpvl may not exceed 100.

Since the halfword prefix can be examined before, exceptionally, a copy of a particular PARM value is made, there is never any need to allocate more storage than that PARM value occupies for such a copy.

John Gilmore
Ashland, MA 01721
U.S.A.