<snip>
Depending on how the .PDF was generated, you might not even be able to do
that.  I was reading one a couple of days ago and needed to go to section
2-4 or some such, according to the index.  With some PDFs, you can type
"2-4" into the page number field and jump directly there.  Not so with
whatever manual I was reading at the time.  Thus, I pretty much had to plug
in a random page number (64?  51? 123?) and hope I was in the vicinity of
2-4.

Thankfully, that situation is fairly uncommon.
</snip>

I would not call it "fairy uncommon". All OS/390 and z/OS manuals and
Redbooks I've seen had book page numbering different from pdf page
numbering.

Žaromil