On 25 May 2005 06:53:08 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>I'll see what I can do; things tend to be busy enough around here that trying
>to get someone to take time to play probably won't fly.  In any case, I need
>to restate what I was trying to say, because I think I got two posts from the
>"PARM" thread mixed up.  I don't doubt that most of our programmers can invoke
>a COBOL program via a CALL statement, but I do doubt that most of them know
>they can run a batch COBOL program through TSO.
>
>I'm not trying to denigrate the abilities of our programmers, either; most of
>them simply have too much to do to be able to take time to do anything beyond
>simply getting their assignments done.
>
>Jon
>

><snip>
>Humor me.  Take this snippet to some of your COBOL programmers, good
>and bad, and ask them if they can write a program that will invoke it.
></snip>

I was aware both as an applications programmer and as a systems
programmer that one COBOL program could call another one.  I also
thought that the limit was 144 bytes and the new limit of 100 bytes
was due to LE.  I also was paranoid and made sure that the parm length
was within the expected set of values, normally less than 144.