Hal, unlabelled tapes in the scratch pool are not a good idea.  How will
RMM know what the volume is really called or which record in the CDS to
use to record the metadata?
I realize that the volume probably appears to have no label because of an
I/O error, but it materializes as a NL tape mounted. The IEC512I message
does not indicate an I/O error; it indicates there was no label read from
the tape and that one was expected - I would expect additional message if
there was in fact an error reading the tape volume.
RMM does not normally support NL scratch tapes.  However, there are 2 ways
it can;
1. You are using IBM system managed, automated, tape library; rmm will use
the volser obtained by the vision system and label the tape during open.
2. You exploit the IFG019VM installation exit (sample EDG019VM) to get the
volser from the operator, rmm then gets the tape labelled during open.

As Radoslaw has said, the ICH408I is issued because RMM attempts to see if
the user is authorized to change the volume label. He also has good
suggestion about EDGINERS. Set the volume INIT action and leave it to
EDGINERS to label it correctly (once you figured out which volume was
actually mounted).

Mike Wood    RMM Development