Jan,

My replies below.

Regards,
Tom Conley

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:57:16 -0500, Jan Vanbrabant
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The main question is:
>what *IS* now IBM's final recommendation?
>CST/RSU is free, probably of a higher quality, but incomplete (only for
>z/OS & major subsystems).

Disagree.  You send IBM your CSI bitmap on ShopZ, and you should get back
all the RSU maintenance for all installed products.

>CustomPacs are personalized and contain service for ALL CSI products.

I wouldn't trust a CustomPac as far as I could throw it.

>Can you work with both approaches, CST/RSU and Custompac?

Why do you want to pay for something that you can get for free?

>For as far as I know (I'm not the SMP/E expert overhere), it doesn't look
>to me as an or-or relationship. From a purely technical point of view, it
>should be possible to use both techniques in parallel. In theory, it
>should be possible to work for example with 2 CSIs, a RSU-CSI & a
>Custompac-CSI. And I suppose we can reconciliate with cross-zone SMP/E.
>But are there considerations about doing so? Pro's & con's? Do's and
>don'ts?

My best practice is to use SUF until it goes away.  IBM recommends ShopZ,
but it's still too much manual intervention for me.  I've had bad
experiences with CustomPacs, so I will not use them again.  If they work
for you, great, but is the cost of them really worth the minimal time
savings?   In my case, I spent more time correcting the CustomPac errors
than I would have if I did it all myself.