In a recent note, Gerhard said:

> Date:         Mon, 30 May 2005 00:00:09 EDT
>
> I haven't tried this for several decades, but a DD DUMMY under MVT would
> always
> work, whereas a DSN=NULLFILE required a valid unit, etc. to avoid allocation
> failure. I found this out the hard way when I had a program that allocated a
> direct 327x, and I had to find a convenient way to override the allocation in
> PROC (I used the BLKSIZE to request alternate allocation: 0 for SYSIN/SYSPRINT
> simulation, 5 for VTAM, etc.). I'd guess that in an SMS system all bets are
> off?

Ancient history; the stuff of legend.  I had a colleague who,
likewise within the past decade, declined to use DSN=NULLFILE
because of bitter memories of exclusive ENQ conflicts with
SYSDSN NULLFILE.  I was unable to duplicate his experience,
also.

It's easy to suspect that at some point in time IBM resolved all
such problems by adopting a tactic of converting DSN=NULLFILE to
DUMMY early in the JCL conversion process, and that the few (only?)
contributor[s] to this thread that maintain (without presenting
evidence) that the behaviors differ perhaps have lingering memories
of the status quo ante.

Perhaps a reader with access to internal historical information
can confirm or refute my surmise.

-- gil
--
StorageTek