Paul Gilmartin wrote:

In a recent note, Greg Price said:
I expect "DFSMS: Using Data Sets" to talk about the OPEN-time SDB,
and "DFSMS: Implementing System Managed Storage" (SC26-7407-02) to
talk about the DADSM end of things including allocation-time SDB.
I suppose it might be nice if each had a pointer to the other if
they don't already.

The data sets in my tests all appear to be non-SMS (At least ISPF 3.4.I
shows no Management class, Storage class, nor Data class information.)
Yet, SDB appears to have filled in BLKSIZE for a data set that was never
opened.  I had hoped that non-SMS would simplify things by leaving
one more component out of the process.

IIRC, SDB's only intersect with SMS is a requirement that the SMS address space be active.

--
| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |