In a recent note, Chris Langford said:

> Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:35:52 -0500
>
> In <[log in to unmask]>, on 06/01/05
>    at 12:50 PM, Leonard Woren <[log in to unmask]> said:
> [snip]
>
> >It should also be noted that DUMMY and DSN= are defined as mutually
> >exclusive.  Therefore on a DD override, DSN= supercedes DUMMY and
>
> The statement:
>
> //FILE DD DUMMY,DSN=WHAT.EVER,DISP=OLD
>
> is an perfectly acceptable statement, it will be scanned for syntax and
> result in a nullfile

I was overwhelmed by the power of Mr. Gilmore's logic on this matter.
In fact:

    Title: z/OS V1R5.0 MVS JCL Reference
    Document Number: SA22-7597-07

#   12.24.4 "z/OS V1R5.0 MVS JCL Reference"

  12.24.4 Relationship to Other Control Statements
       [ ... ]
   Overriding
   a Procedure DD Statement
       [ ... ]
   If the overriding
   DD statement contains a DSNAME parameter other than NULLFILE, a
   PATH parameter other than /dev/null, or a SUBSYS, SYSOUT, *, or
   DATA parameter, the system nullifies a DUMMY parameter on the
   overridden DD statement.

Since this clearly contradicts Mr. Gilmore's impeccable logic
and flawless memory, Mr. Gilmore should, as the expert, submit
a RCF on the JCL RM.

I don't believe nobody no more.  I tried an example:

/* ****************************************************************** */
//DUMMYP    JOB  505303JOB,'Paul Gilmartin',
// MSGLEVEL=(1,1),REGION=0M
//*
//USERC    OUTPUT JESDS=ALL,DEFAULT=YES,
//  CLASS=R,PAGEDEF=V0648Z,CHARS=GT12
//*
//WEIRD    PROC
//STEP     EXEC  PGM=IEFBR14
//SYSUT2    DD   DUMMY,DISP=(MOD,CATLG),UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,2),
//  DSN=&SYSUID..C.DSORG.OVERRIDE,
//  DCB=(RECFM=VB,LRECL=125,BLKSIZE=1250)
//         PEND
//*
//DOIT1    EXEC  WEIRD
//*
//DOIT2    EXEC  WEIRD
//STEP.SYSUT2 DD DSN=&SYSUID..C.DSORG.OVERRIDE
/* ****************************************************************** */
With the job log excerpts:

16.05.43 JOB05550  -                  SYSTEM RELEASE: SP7.0.5 HBB7708

ICH70001I user     LAST ACCESS AT 16:05:40 ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 1, 2005
IEF236I ALLOC. FOR DUMMYP STEP DOIT1
IEF237I DMY  ALLOCATED TO SYSUT2
IEF142I DUMMYP STEP DOIT1 - STEP WAS EXECUTED - COND CODE 0000
IEF236I ALLOC. FOR DUMMYP STEP DOIT2
IGD100I 3CCA ALLOCATED TO DDNAME SYSUT2   DATACLAS (        )
IEF142I DUMMYP STEP DOIT2 - STEP WAS EXECUTED - COND CODE 0000
IEF285I   user.C.DSORG.OVERRIDE                        CATALOGED
IEF285I   VOL SER NOS= TSO010.
********** BOTTOM OF DATA ********************************

Since the OS is clearly conspiring with the JCL RM to contradict
Mr. Gilmore's logic, Mr. Gilmore ought also to submit a PMR against
the relevant OS component.

In fact, I'd still like to see Mr. Gilmore's verification:

   Linkname: Re: DUMMY and BLKSIZE

"that [the distinction between DUMMY and NULLFILE] is still operational."

Once you know the answer, it's easy to find it in the manual.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL