What about the (unlikely) case where someone writes a VB data set to
DASD and uses the wrong data length? Or would SAM catch the error
before you saw it?

With SAM I don't believe a bad length is possible. QSAM contructs the blocks from the records provided and controls the BDW and the write length. BSAM I believe uses the BDW to determine the write length. So in either case, the record length in the disk count field will match the BDW length (short of a bug in SAM, of course). With EXCP, you can of course write anything you like, so you can create the error. I am not sure what SAM would do on reading

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR