I went and RTFMed (C/C++ Runtime Library Reference) since my memory
obviously needed refreshing; I found this note:

    "If you cannot use a PDSE member or HFS file, and your program contains
C++ code, or C code that is compiled with any of the RENT, LONGNAME, DLL or
IPA compiler options, you must use the prelinker. C and C++ code compiled
with the GOFF or XPLINK compiler options cannot be processed by the prelinker."

So, the use of the prelinker allows you to avoid the use of PDSEs in some
cases. COMPAT is one binder option which should be checked.

Bill