Thanks for the comments about the site.

The MIPS charts on it may be more or less use than you expect.  The
conditions of use speciically state that the whole disclaimer must be
reproduced if any part of the chart is used - even one figure.

This may have the result I desire, of course.

There are now two different MSU values for most modern systems - nominal
and marketing.  IBM's Software Division and the ISVs largely define the
price/performance of mainframes these days, but they don't all use the same
ones.  Or even the same versions of the nominal ones.

It is a fallacy - not worthy of a serious IT proessional - to pretend that
the values stored by machines are any more accurate than any others.  In
fact, because they track the "marketing" MSUs, they're actually LESS likely
to reflect a machine's true performance.  Garbage In, Garbage Out - they're
derived from lookup tables in the m icrocode that are just as fungible as
my MIPS charts.

And, IMO, much less satisfactory since the user has zero control over the
change process.  Or do people run standard jobs every month to check the
reported MUSs?  Not just after engineer visits - the microcode MSU values
for any given processor can be changed in flight.  I preferred IRARMCPU - I
could see the SMP/E updates.

As regards what IBM uses in discussions - MIPS and nothing else.  I have
IBM's MIPS values for all recent systems, and anyone who was at Klaus
Goebel's preannouncement of the z890 at GSE last year will have seen only
 MIPS charts.

That presentation is now public domain - if I can't find it on the GSE site
I'll post it on mine.  I have the same for the z990 and the z995 - and for
something else.

I currently have "nomail" set and I read the group via GOOGLE Groups, so
copy me explicitly if you don't want me to miss it.

--
 Phil Payne
 +44 7833 654 800