Hi,

There are some very sophisticated fraud detection packages. With the advent
of Check 21 some of the check kiting detection software will have to be
re-written.  The check kiting detection software I'm familiar with was
written in assembler but I imagine there's more contemporary
implementations.

At the one bank I worked for the manager and his staff lost the tape
containing the source code for the check kiting detection package they were
responsible for. I'm of the opinion that this tape was valuable but the
manager just blew it off like it was nothing.

Today I got a letter from a university I applied to explaining that my ss#
and other personal information were on a lap top that stolen out of the
admissions office.

After receiving the letter I requested a fraud alert be place on the credit
bureaus. I guess tomorrow I'll go to the bank and request an alert be placed
on my accounts there.

No wonder id theft is such big business with large institutions being so
careless in how they handle things.

Paul