On  8-Jun-2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perryman, Brian) wrote:

> I think I once read or was once told by someone that, in the US, you could
> have any vehicle licence plate as long as it was no more than eight
> characters, and didn't even have to be unique - by far and away the most
> popular being FOXYLADY..?

Different states have different limits.   Periodically I'll read where a state
changes to add an extra character to its standard.   More cars will do this.

Universal programing for license plates should probably have room for maybe 10
characters.  (This is a WAG, I'd have to do some research before putting it in
code).

One of the most tedious edits I remember doing was checking for valid postal
numbers - zip codes and the like - across the world.    Someone would need to
maintain those edits as various countries make changes in their systems.