From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Joel Ivey
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 11:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: ftps secure ftp auth tls

I've browsed thru the much discussion on secure ftp lately, picked up some
good tips, but have not come across this particular problem.   Any help will
be appreciated.

(Sorry if this gets confusing.  Internal means behind the network firewall.
 External means outside.  IP addresses are just examples.)

Attempts to go from internal zos ftps client to internal zos ftps server
(10.16.x.x to 10.16.33.x) is successful.

Attempts to go from internal zos ftps client to external ftps server fails.
(10.16.x.x to 64.x.x.x).  We get message, 500 Syntax error, command
unrecognized: "AUTH TLS".   See the cut-n-paste below.

Attempts to go from external win2k ftps client to internal zos ftps server
fails with the same message. (204.x.x.x to 167.x.x.x NATed to 10.16.33.x)

Attempts to go from external win2k ftps client to external ftps server is
successful.   (204.x.x.x to 64.x.x.x).

I suspect a firewall issue and am trying to work with the network folks on
confirming this.   I've already got the zos firewall configured to allow
traffic through.

Turning server DEBUG options on would need to be done on the external ftps
server, of which I have no control.

Anybody run into this problem when setting up ftps on zos?

220-FTPC1 IBM FTP CS V1R4 at x.x.x.x, 17:26:43 on 2005-06-17
220 Connection will close if idle for more than 5 minutes.
EZA1701I >>> AUTH TLS
500 Syntax error, command unrecognized: "AUTH TLS"
EZA2897I Authentication negotiation failed

Thanks,
Joel