Gil Gelep's post is open to detailed criticism, but he does make an important distinction.

There are insiders and there are outsiders. Insiders do sometime know things---passwords, slip paths, and the like---that make it possible for them to do damage within their own shops but not in others. In my experience the damage they do is almost always inadvertent, stupid rather than malicious; but they do sometimes do such damage; and security mechanisms do not help much to prevent it.

Another, different problem is harder to talk about because I cannot give concrete examples. Those of us who build systems often include trap doors in them that facilitate our own testing (and subsequent maintenance) operations, and in an OCO era we often leave them in these systems. Worse, some of us---Let me call them locksmiths---even know a lot, security people think too much, about trap doors in systems we did not develop. This is imporftant because, while one can choose to use one locksmith instead of another, there are circumstances in which one must use a locksmith.

External penetration is the major threat we confront, and it should be the major preoccupation of security groups. Moles, to the extent that they pose real problems in business (as opposed to the NSA) cannot be dealt with using passwords. Moles know them, just as an NSA mole, if there were one, would have a security clearance.

John Gilmore
Ashland, MA 01721
U.S.A.