From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ron and Jenny Hawkins
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 5:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DASD and Mirroring

Hal,

I'm not so certain that you are agreeing to the same point that Skip is
making. I take Skip's point as meaning that the success of any Remote
Copy
design requires attention to the creation of IO consistency in the event
of
a failure.

On the other hand your point to me applies to the ability of an
application
to recover from an abrupt failure, independent of whether Remote Copy is
used or not.

The ability to restart an application or a batch stream is not a
delivered
by Remote Copy. If a site fails the Online and Batch must recover in the
same manner irrespective of whether the systems restart in the original
centre, or fails over to the DR Centre. The open files may be recovered,
deleted, rolled-back/forward, etc - whatever is required to get started.

Disk Mirroring delivers a customer the same restart ability in both
sites,
providing IO Consistency is also delivered by the Remote Copy
architecture.
It doesn't matter whether restart is in the original copy or the
mirrored
copy, open datasets should already be dealt with by the application.

Ron