In a message dated 6/22/2005 2:29:57 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

the  controller copied the 7 SDs  into an unreadable part of
this new  record.

Since we're discussing parts of the track that are physically unreadable,
instead of "unreadable" I should have said "user-inaccessible".  Obviously,
the
controller was able to read these bytes, but non-diagnostic software in the
host could not.  You used to be able to read the entire track by clever use
of the Space Count command (IIRC), which hasn't been supported for the last
couple of devices/controller types, and is no longer documented.  It would  let
you read ALL the bytes on the track, including the inter-record gaps and all
these SDs, inter alia.  But what you read in was not much fun to  decipher by
hand and eyeball.

Bill Fairchild