Sorry to disagree on this one (again), but the error message tells you
exactly WHERE (what line and what column in that line) has the problem.  a
VERY simple search of either the COBOL LRM or APG for the term "shift-in"
will tell you what this means and again, a search of the manual SHOULD take
you to:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/igy3c120/2.18

which should show you where your "customization" went wrong.

You state,
  "IBM message is supposed to have a response documented, like this: ..."

Where did you get this idea?  Some products certainly do that, but certainly
NOT all (and it isn't just the COBOL compiler that doesn't).

***

In the days of "hard-copy" only manuals, there MIGHT have been a need for
more explanation, but I am not convinced that the COBOL messages along with
an "online" search of the COBOL bookshelves using the "keywords" from the
message won't get you to the correct place.

P.S.  This specific problem would have been solved by changing to NODBCS.
HOWEVER, the "real" problem (as pointed out elsewhere) was the change in
CICS and differences between how the COBOL2 translator option worked and now
works - versus how the COBOL3 translator works.  Do you REALLY think that a
COBOL messages manual would have helped you with this?

news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...