Clark,

the question is to which lengths COBOL goes to determine which files were opened. Since you indicated the files were opened (and not closed) by a BAL subroutine, the COBOL code may not even be aware of it. It does take a bit of poking around to find the DECBs anyhow.

However, since you indicate that you are dealing with VSAM files - are the ACBs that the subroutine used around at all? Has this storage not been freed? As long as you have no activity you would not find out until it's closing time, whether COBOL intends to clean up or someone else.

/re