Jim,

I thought you said there was a way in z/VM to restrict a guest to run ESA/390 and not switch to z/Architecture. But I'll be damned if I can find it now.

Thoughts?

Ed

Skip Robinson wrote:

I don't know z/VM, but I seriously doubt that is has the capability to
masquerade as an ARCHLVL 1 machine. On a 2064, you will find yourself paps
deep in ARCHLVL 2 whether you're ready for it or not. I don't think you
have any realistic choice but to install Bimodal Accommodation.
Fortunately, 1.4 is the last release for which this feature is available.

z/VM does indeed provide this extremely useful capability. We use it here to run z/OS systems (prior to V1R6) for testing our products to ensure that no z/Architecture instructions accidentally get executed in ESA/390 environments.