----- Original Message ----- From: "W. Kevin Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: "Message Standards" w9as: Another OS/390 to z/OS 1.4 migration question (COBOL)

There is an IBM corporate standard for both Message Formats and for Message Documentation dating from the S/360 days. The Message Format standard only applies to messages that can appear on an operator's console, so that would not apply to COBOL messages. The Documentation Standard may apply to COBOL; I'll have to check. I own both standards. Before you ask, the standards are considered IBM Confidential. There have been various attempts over the years to get them unclassified, but all of those attempts have failed.

--
W. Kevin Kelley  z/OS Core Technical Design  IBM Pok Lab

Kevin,

Thank you for confirming that there is a message documentation standard. Glad to see you're on the case. I think it's even more important to fully document error messages given IBM's corporate direction to make z/OS easier to use. Will you be at SHARE in Boston?

Regards,
Tom Conley