On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:48:13 +0200, R.S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Phil Steele wrote:
>[...]
>> I always imagined that IBM's 'Licenced Internal Code' ( not to mentioned
Graduated licnening charges, of course!)
>>  was a way to protect them from any one else being able to undo
>>a  'Kneecapped' processor nowadays.

Perhaps... but there are people who take that as a challenge! This kind of
thing will happen when Linux hackers get hold of mainframes ;-)

>I heard about guys, who upgrade 9672 machines. They could enable
>remaining CPs as well as memory.
>There are customers who don't care, and probably it's not illegal in
>some countries.

I think I know the same people... I believe it's true, IBM no longer have a
monopoly on enabling CPs etc. IBM hate it, but if the customer owns the
hardware, there's not a lot they can do about it - so long as the customer
pays the correct software charges of course...

Similar scenario occured a couple of years ago on AS/400 with a product
called 'Fast/400': http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh060302-story03.html

Mike