On Jun 24, 2005, at 5:13 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
On Jun 24, 2005, at 12:23 PM, Bill Klein wrote:
----------------------SNIP-----------------------

NOTE WELL:
Although this topic comes up occasionally in IBM-MAIN, there really are VERY FEW "questions" in either comp.lang.cobol or TEK-TIPS about "what does the following IBM COBOL compiler message mean." This does (to me) confirm
the IBM belief that MOST of the messages *are* self-documenting.

Even for the message in question, it is my belief that MOST of the time that it is issued is because someone using DBCS within alphanumeric literals have mis-coded it. This along with the fact that the "currently supported" CICS
translators with the recommended translator options do NOT cause the
problem, makes it hard for me to "blame" the compiler message or
documentation.

I am not sure I agree with you. *MOST* programmers I have had exposure to don't have access to usenet. Their only lines of defense is ask someone else or call the help desk.

I still want to know who to call when they say call your systems programmer.

Ed

Twenty years ago that might have flown. But since the mid-1990s that just doesn't fly. Everyone and their grandmother has 'access' to usenet. While only about 95% of them will have it in their home, the rest are just a hop-skip-and-jump from a public library or a big box superstore complete with free internet access.

They may not use it, but access is universally available in the developed world and pretty much available in the undeveloped world as well.