From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bob Wright
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 12:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How to find fetch protected area

Al Slovacek wrote:

> To determine storage key/fetch protection:
>
> 1) Initialize (or reinitialize) your dump with the MACHINE option.

There is no MACHINE option at the time that you perform dump
intialization.

> 2) When asked to use summary dump info, specify NO (for full init) if
> prompted.

If you're running z/OS V1R2 or later, reinitialization is not needed,
and it may be counterproductive to suppress the use of summary dump
data.  Starting with that release SDUMP dumps summary dump data in page
increments and collects the storage keys of the pages dumped.

> 3) In option 1 while browsing storage Locate the area of storage:
> (6dd0 is the example used here)
>     type in on the command line "IPCS LIST 6dd0."
>
> 4) The following is displayed:
>

> LIST 6DD0. ASID(X'0243') LENGTH(X'04') AREA
>
> ASID(X'0243') ADDRESS(6DD0.) KEY(88)                <= First nibble is
> storage key, second nibble is fetch protect bit
>
> 00006DD0. 00006DD0

The 2nd nibble also contains the bits associated with reference and
change monitoring, but they're not necessarily useful when you're
dealing with an SDUMP.

--
Bob Wright - MVS Service Aids

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and