In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/26/2005
   at 08:33 AM, Steve Comstock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>All data is either UTF-32 text or binary

Why not provide for optionally storing data in the more compact UTF8
and UTF16? They could still be presented to the applications as UTF32.
You need the transform code regardless, so why not take advantage of
it?

>Never need a code page again.

You'll still need the accursed things for communication with the
outside world.

>Never have competing architectures

That's what IBM claimed for S/360; the competing[1] IBM architectures
came on its heels, in droves.

[1] E.g., S/7, S/1, S/3, 8100.