Mautalen Juan Guillermo wrote:

>It is probably something very obvious, but i am having a hard time
>figuring out what is wrong...I am trying to use the SUM function
>provided by DFSORT.
>My control statements are, as the documentation indicates, something
>like:
>
>SORT FIELDS=(20,5,CH,A)
>SUM FIELDS=(30,4,BI)
>
>When i run the DFSORT (as a batch job), it ends with RC=0. However, the
>SUM is not performed (but the records are sorted, tough).
>Despite many records having identical value in position 20-24, their
>values in field 30-33 are not added. It seems that the SUM statement is
>ignored.
>
>Any ideas of what could be happening?

Well, it's hard to say without seeing your input and output, but one guess
would be that all of
your sum fields overflowed.  Note that when sum fields overflow, the pair
of records involved
in the overflow is left unchanged and neither record is deleted. Look for
message ICE152I
which indicates overflow occurred.

If your fields did overflow and  you got RC=0, then you have OVLFO=RC0 in
effect (this is
DFSORT's shipped default).  If you don't want RC=0 when fields overflow,
use
OPTION OVFLO=RC4 or OVFLO=RC16 as appropriate.

If that's not it, then I'd need to see an example of your input SORT fields
and SUM fields and
what you got for output.  You can use 30,4,HEX to display the SUM fields in
hex.  You can
send me the info offline ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) if you like.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Team (IBM)
 Specialties: ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration
 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/