IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 06/28/2005
02:53:54 PM:

> In a recent note, Farley, Peter x23353 said:
>
> > Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:10:25 -0400
> >
> > Well, he's not the only graybeard who didn't get that memo.  I missed
it
> > too.  I just looked it up, and Ed is correct -- IDENTIFY *must*
specify an
> > address within an already-loaded/fetched/etc. program.
> >
> I thought there was an out: something like if you set the sign
> bit you can use any address.  But you must be APF authorized to
> do it.
>
> > Now why'd they go and do that?  That means I can't use that old
CompSci
> > trick of compile-to-memory-and-attach-task any more.  Shucks.  I
remember
> > when I did that with Fortran arrays in college.
> >
> I either used or imagined ATTACHing a little glue module:
>
>              L     R15,0(,R1)
>              LA    R1,4(,R1)
>              BR    R15
>
> ... and passing the entry point address as an extra first parameter.
>
> -- gil
> --
> StorageTek
> INFORMATION made POWERFUL

 If this is just a matter of curiosity, surely
you old time hackers can do more than speculate.  For example,
look in the MVS Diagnosis Reference to find the module name called
by the IDENTIFY SVC.  Find some microfiche older than SP4.3.0., and
read the module prolog.

  As always, I must caution you as to the risks of actually using
undocumented interfaces.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY