From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Steve Arnett
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 12:23 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Flashcopy question

Folks,

     I was reviewing our company backups that are using ESS Flashcopy
when it occured to me that our backups are still out of sync using this
feature.  In order for my backups to be in sync, it is necessary to set
up all of the FC pairs within an ESS and then issue a single commit to
start the Flashcopies.  This is possible using the HMC panels on the
Shark, but how can it be done from within MVS?  All of the commands,
whether DFDSS driven or TSO driven seem operate on single pairs and the
Flashcopy begins towards the end of the execution of that single
command.  While each Flashcopy pair will be in sync with each other at
the point the commit takes place, all of the FC pairs will be out of
sync with each other.  For any given multivolume VSAM dataset, it would
render this PIT backup useless.
    Is there a way, in MVS, to set up the commands such that a single
commit can be done, which would be equivalent to setting them up on the
ESS HMC?

TIA,
Steve A.