On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:38:29 -0700, Gibbons, Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>To create an extended shelf with documents which only exist as
>PDFs requires that the meta data from the PDF is in the catalog.
>With LibraryServer 3.0 this cannot be extracted directly from the
>pdf (this functionality should be available with release 3.1).
>.

Does anybody know whether PDFs can be stored in MVS datasets (not HFS files)
and served via Library Server extended shelves?

The Library Server doc offers some encouragement, but is lacking on specifics.
It says:

 You can catalog books contained in MVS data sets. While not mandatory,
cataloging MVS data set books and PDFs enables you to access them through the
"Catalog of All Documents" page and to use the "find documents in the catalog"
function to locate the books and PDFs using titles, names or document numbers.
In the context of a LibraryCenter, when books and PDFs stored in MVS data sets
are cataloged, they can be accessed via the "Find Books or Shelves" function.

But I can't figure out HOW to catalog an MVS PDF.  I seem to be in a catch-22
situation, where it has to be in an extended shelf to be cataloged, and it
needs to be in the catalog to put in a shelf.

I was able to follow Mark's procedure through downloading the PDF from an MVS
dataset to a Windows machine, and using the Shelf Organizer to create an
extended bookshelf.  But I'm at a loss as to how to get Library Server to
recognize this shelf and get from it to an MVS dataset.  I can upload the shelf
into an HFS path, and then Library Server recognizes it and lists the PDF
documents, but it can't find the actual document.  I can't see any way to
upload the shelf as an MVS dataset and have Library Server find it.