Mark Thomen wrote:

>> I am looking for a simple way to rename a VSAM cluster along with its
>> DATA & INDEX components.  Three ALTER commands in an IDCAMS step is
>> the obvious method, but is there some batch utility program that can
>> do it in a single command, i.e. without having to specify the old and
>> new names of the associated objects?   Same question for the other
>> components in a VSAM sphere, i.e. CLUSTERs, AIXs, PATHs.    What's
>> the simplest way to rename the whole sphere just by specifying the
>> name of the cluster?
>
> There is no guarantee that renaming the cluster name means the
> component names want to be renamed.  And what methodology would we use
> to rename them?  Suppose the new cluster name is 44 chars long?  How
> many levels of qualification would we use?
>
> Users have the ability to name their components as they wish (within
> certain limits), and arbritrarily changing those component names may
> disrupt utilities or other installation-written programs that they
> use.  They may have a REASON for picking specific component names.
> Thus, for IDCAMS to arbritrarily rename the components when the
> cluster name is renamed is extremely dangerous.

I am not asking for ALTER to automatically rename the D & I components,
although if there was an option to do it, it'd be great.   DEFINE
calculates default names for the I & D components, ALTER could use the
same scheme.    While I'm on it, I'd also like to mention that a
REPLACE option in ALTER would be very useful.

What I was asking for in my original post was a simple (and free)
utility to do the renames automatically outside of IDCAMS.  I already
have one written in REXX, but I'd prefer one in ASM if available.   I
know how to write one using SHOWCAT, but I guess I'm lazy.