In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 07/01/2005
   at 01:58 AM, Joe Zitzelberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>That is because it doesn't change.

Which part of "That certainly didn't use to be true," don't you
understand?

>A "check engine" light is irrelevant if it does not appear on an
>auto dashboard.  How can the exact byte location of the error,
>with surrounding source lines for context, be irrelevant to
>resolving the error?

Beczuse the exact co0lumn is not and never was the issue; the issue is
the nature of the error and the failure of the message to adequately
explain it.

>The message includes the row and column of the offending byte.  As
>well as a description of its offense.

FSVO "description"; it is one that was unintelligible to the
programmers.

>In what possible way could you consider that 'unintelligible'?

In all the ways that I have already explained. By the empirical
evidence.

>Why doesn't he/she look at what non-displayable data are in the
>text?

I don't know. Why doesn't the message text suggest doing that, and
explain what hexadecimal data are, and how to display them,  in terms
understandable to a COBOL programmer?

>They gave you the row and column.  They gave you the figurative
>constant name.

That's a lot less helpful than giving the value.

>Turning hex on will give you the value.

The message text doesn't explain how to do that, or even suggest it.
How many COBOL programmers know about hexadecimal display?

>What is left of your request to put into the messages manual?

Essentially everything.

>When did they do this?

I don't know; all that I know is that they used to do so and that you
claim that they no longer do.