A dataset is pre-allocated using the TSO allocate command using a
Cylinders with primary allocation of 3333 cylinders and 333 secondary
space with a list of volumes. When writing into the dataset in a
separate step, I would expect that on the second volume, A primary
allocation space will be taken. Our experience shows that from the
second volume in the volume-list, the space will be allocated in the
secondary space units. Why is that so? a reference to the manual will be
helpful.

Itschak