John S. Giltner, Jr. wrote:
Webshpere is IBM term for their family of middleware.

If you mean Websphere Application Server, it is IBM's J2EE application server.

Out of the box you can't use Websphere as a DNS server or a DHCP server, but you can use it as a Web server. Technically I think you could write your own DNS server code and or DHCP server code in Java and run it under Websphere.

Think of Websphere application Server as a CICS (or IMS or IDMS-DC) for Java. You could write DNS server code or DHCP server code and run it under CICS if you wanted to.

I have not heard of iServices, can you point me to a link.

Can someone tell me why I never saw the post below? I get
the feeling I have some setting such that I'm missing
some of the posts on ibm-main.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock

John F. Regus wrote:

We don't take full advantage of all the bells and whistles around here that are in zOS. So I have some questions.

1) Can someone give me a one or two sentence explanation of IBM Websphere? Can you define web servers, DNS servers, DHCP, etc. using Websphere and what is the iServices...I get the impression that defining web servers, DNS servers, etc. is done with iServices and not Websphere.

Thanks for the time to explain full use of the box.