IST is the module prefix for VTAM.
 Read the documentation about system code 0A8. It indicates an error
processing a user application. Usually some error with control blocks built
by the application and passed to VTAM.
This in no way should even come close to crashing the system.
 Check the reason code (2 lower bytes of R15) accompanying the 0A8 abend.
In the documentation of 0A8 you can find an explanation about how to find
the reason code.
 HTH,
Gil.