BTW: You can pay extra money to IBM to have support for unsupported
system. Some limitations also apply, all I know about it is it's expensive

It's called 'on a time & materials' basis.
You don't have to pay unless something breaks.
Then they will charge you 'time', successful resolution, or not.
That is the 'materials' part.
If they have the skill set, they will help.
If they don't: tough <something> said the kitty.

They are not going to hold somebody back with OS/390 skills while they are
working z/OS development.

If somebody still has the knowledge, fine!
But, due to moving upward, death, severence, etc, if the skill disappears, it's
not replaced.

I don't know what the cost is now, but in 1982, it was $100 (CDN - back when
$CDN was worth something) per hour, here in Toronto.

-teD

In God we Trust!
All others bring data!
 -- W. Edwards Deming