Walt Farrell wrote:

On 7/31/2005 11:50 AM, Edward E. Jaffe wrote:

Currently, FLAG(PAGE0) flags all explicit references in which the base register is zero -- including those cases in which the index register for an RX-type instruction is non-zero e.g., 'B 4(R14)'. Such coding is fairly common practice. (Many years ago instructions coded this way actually ran slower, but that hasn't been true for a long, long time.) Furthermore, many instructions in AR-mode programs *must* be deliberately coded in this manner. Whether optional or required, such instructions should *not* be flagged as PSA references!

I think you may have meant that it flags all -implicit- references in which the base register is zero. As I understand it, one fix for the assembler complaining about 'B 4(R14)' is to explicitly code it as 'B 4(R14,0)'

I meant explicit in the sense that 'L Rx,PSATOLD-PSA' will generate a warning whereas 'USING PSA,R0' followed by 'L Rx,PSATOLD' will not.

You're right that coding workarounds exist. However, that won't help if you're not prepared to make those changes. We have one product that generates literally tens of thousands of PAGE0 warnings for perfectly legitimate code. Nobody wants to change them all. So we compile that product without the benefit of FLAG(PAGE0). My HLASM enhancement suggestion would solve that.

--
| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |