Speaking generally, I would say no. For the IBM 3494-B18 in particular,
there are two reasons:

(1) A virtual tape on an IBM 3494-B18 only takes up the amount of space
required for the labels and the data. You don't "waste" any "space" on
the virtual volume.

(2) if you reference just one file on a stacked tape, the entire virtual
volume must be staged to the disk cache. This is a waste of cache and
time.

The only negative, if it is one, is that you need to define more virtual
volumes in your tape management system.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.