Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM wrote:

"R.S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

David Andrews wrote:

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 10:49 -0400, Jousma, David wrote:

Did you leave SORTWKxx allocations on mod-9's?

I left SORTWKxx allocations on unmanaged public -9s.  Didn't see any
good reason for managing them.

Maybe except:
- possibility to keep work datasets on dedicated volumes
- keeping 'accidental' allocations of small permanent datasets away from work volumes. These datasets can exhaust work space or at least fragmentarize it
- automatization of VIO selection.

Radoslaw,
it is highly recommended to exclude SORTWK's from VIO.

Vernooy,
I didn't recommend it. ACS routines allows you to exclude SORTWK's from VIO.
I just enumerated few advantages of having work volumes SMS-managed, not assuming that all of them apply concurrently.
BTW: As Ron mentioned, it seems it is not so highly recommended <g>
However I have no opinion in this topic, just listen what others have to say.

To John:
AFAIK new DFSORT for z/OS 1.5 uses 64-bit memory objects instead of hiperspaces. Previous version (rel. 14) liked Expanded memory very much and missed it in z/Architecture.

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland