In a message dated 8/3/2005 6:08:05 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>There was no IBM 2305 drum; the 2305 was a disk drive.

I cannot find any IBM technical publication describing the 2305, but it was
called a drum by everyone I knew and by many people writing technical
articles.  Google for "2305 drum" and look at the voluminous hits; e.g.  this
one
from IBM's 1973 Technical Journal:
_http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/175/ibmrd1705E.pdf_
(http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/175/ibmrd1705E.pdf)
(scan  article for "2305"); this one:
_http://www.icann.org/tlds/name1/links/APPENDIX.D.2.1.3-5.pdf_
(http://www.icann.org/tlds/name1/links/APPENDIX.D.2.1.3-5.pdf)  (scan  for
"2305" and you see these sentences:  "The concept of PAVs
is similar to  that of "multiple exposures" as implemented for the IBM 2305
drum device, often  used for paging and for job queue datasets in the days
before
cached control  units.  The cached 3880-21 also supported multiple exposures
for  paging."  There are also several technical articles that show up via
Google  in which it is called a "2305 disk."  What did the SYSGEN/IOGEN book
call
it?  Where do we go for the most official nomenclature?

IBM officially called it a "fixed head storage" device (usually called
drums) as opposed to a moving head storage device (usually called disks) in
this
one:
_http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_2305.html_
(http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_2305.html)    Here
is
some of the text from that link:
"A 2305 facility consisted of an IBM 2835 Storage Control and one or two
2305 fixed head storage modules. Each disk drive contained six disks with 12
recording surfaces.
... Read/write heads were fixed in position over each track."

Having read/write heads fixed over each track makes it a drum.  It  looked
like a drum, walked like a drum, and quacked like a drum.

Bill Fairchild